Magha Masam Festival
Magha Masam is one of the most auspicious month, it is the 11th month in the Hindu calender. Marriages, Gruhapravesam (house-warming cermony) and other auspicious functions like upanayanam, Aksharabhyasam etc. are performed this month.
Maagham is a Sanskrit word Ma+Agham. Ma means not present and Agham means sin, evil, malefic,suffering etc. Magha Masam considered as auspicious month to free from any sin or suffering.
Significance Of Magha Masam:
Maagha Masam is cosidered when Moon be near to Makha nakshatram on full moon day of that month. Magha Masam main significance is to take bath early in the morning before sunrise.
As per the English calendar Magha Masam is in between January-February.
Religious Significance-Beliefs of Magha Masam:
1) It is believed that Goddess of knowledge, music, arts, wisdom and learning – Goddess Saraswati maa, the Sun God or Surya Bhagvan and Lord Shiva in the form of lingam were born in this month.
2) As per astrology ketu is the ruling planet for magha star.
Important festivals that comes in Magha Masam Month:
Vasanta Panchami: This comes on the fifth day ie. in the brighter half of the moon. Also called as Basant Panchami this day Goddess Saraswati is worshipped. Aksharabhyasam for children is highly auspicious on this day.
Also read… Basant-Vasant Panchami Festival
Ratha Sapthami:This comes on the seventh day. Lord Surya is worshipped on this day and people take bath with seven Arka leaves to get rid of all sins.
Also read… Ratha Saptami Festival
Bheeshma Ashtami:This comes the next day of Ratha Saptami. Bhishma breathed his last on this day as per Epic Mahabharatham.
Magha Pournami: This is celebrated on the full moon day marks the end of magha masam. Taking a bath in a sea is meritorious. Performing pooja to any god is auspicious. Charities given to Brahmins on this day have a great significance.
Maha Shivaratri-Shivarathri: This is celebrated on 13th night or 14th day. Devotees offer prayers to Lord Shiva in temples. The most importance of this day is performing abhishekam to the Lord Shiva, fasting and doing Jagarana (all through night long).
Things-Rituals To Do In Magha Masam:
1) Taking bath in river or sea(Samudra Snanam) will wash away all the sins. If you unable to take bath in the above, bathing in bathroom by memorising Ganga, Godavari, Kaveri etc. will be benefited too.
2) Charity (Danam) done during the Maagha masam are sacred
3) This month is dedicated to Lord Surya and people worship Sun god on the four Sundays. Reciting Aditya Hrudyam on the four Sundays of this month would be very effective
4) Lit lamp with til oil at any Shiva Temple.
May Goddess Saraswati, Surya Bhagvan and Lord Shiva Shower Bless On You..
Tags : Magha Masam significance, Magha Masam history, Importance of Magha Masam, How to celebrate Magha Masam, Why Do We Celebrate Magha Masam, Pandagalu, Magha Maasam